GMA News Online

Ces Drilon kidnapping

June 20, 2008 4:01am

Tags: Sulu

  • Ces OreƱa-Drilon, ABS-CBN news anchor and senior correspondent
  • Jimmy Encarnacion, ABS-CBN cameraman
  • Angelo Valderama, ABS-CBN assistant cameraman
  • Octavio Dinampo, Mindanao State University professor


June 7, 2008: Drilon and her crew arrived at the Jolo Airport. They booked two rooms at the Sulu State College Hostel in Jolo, Sulu. A front desk officer saw Drilon talking to Professor Dinampo that afternoon.

June 8, 2008: Dinampo picked up Drilon and her crew at the hostel. Upon reaching Barangay Adjid, they alighted from the vehicle, crossed a river and proceeded on foot. The news team subsequently lost contact with their newsdesk.

NOTE: Drilon, her crew, and Dinampo were initially reported to have been kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf in Maimbung, Sulu.

June 10, 2008: ABS-CBN management issued an official statement, saying that Drilon and her crew are missing in Sulu.

June 11, 2008: ABS-CBN management confirmed that Drilon and her crew have been kidnapped for ransom in Sulu but declared that it "will abide by its policy not to pay ransom because this would embolden kidnap for ransom groups to abduct other journalists..."

June 12, 2008: Valderama was released to Sulu Vice Governor Lady Ann Sahidula.

The abductors named Indanan, Sulu mayor Alvarez S. Isnaji as their emissary in the ongoing negotiations for the other captives' release.

June 16, 2008: ABS-CBN said it is "doing everything it can to help" the victims and their families, but it reiterated that it will not pay ransom.

The kidnappers issued an ultimatum: P15 million by noontime of June 17, in exchange for the release of Drilon, Encarnacion and Dinampo.

June 17, 2008: The Abu Sayyaf extended their deadline for the ransom payment.

PNP Chief Avelino Razon said Drilon and the other hostages are expected to be released within the next few hours.

Drilon, Encarnacion and Dinampo were freed shortly before midnight. They were released in Sitio Danasi, Barangay Sinumaan, Talipao, Sulu. They had been walking for four hours, possibly from Patikul, when authorities met them in Talipao. They were brought to Isnaji's home in Indanan to eat and freshen up.

Drilon and company were held in the vicinity of Mt. Tunggol in Patikul and Talipao during their captivity.

June 18, 2008: From Isnaji's home, Drilon and company were taken to Jolo, Sulu; an army helicopter flew them to Zamboanga City.

Drilon held a brief press conference in Zamboanga City. She thanked Sen. Loren Legarda and local officials in Sulu who helped secure her and her crew's release. PNP Chief Razon and denied that ransom was paid.

From Zamboanga City, Drilon, Encarnacion and Valderama were flown to Manila onboard a private plane. They again held another press conference with Sen. Legarda at the airport. They proceeded to Medical City afterward. Dinampo, meanwhile, was left behind in Zamboanga City.

Mayor Isnaji and his son, Jun were brought to Camp Crame for a debriefing.

June 19, 2008: PNP declared the Isnajis as suspects in the kidnapping of Drilon, her crew, and Dinampo.

(Sources: GMA News, GMANews.TV, ABS-CBN statements)
Go to comments

Tags: Sulu