GMA News Online
News
»
Nation

2 ‘Alabang Boys’ charged in Muntinlupa court

April 20, 2009 5:22pm
MANILA, Philippines – Two of the so-called Alabang Boys drug suspects were charged before the Muntinlupa City regional trial court on Monday, the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) said.

Also filed on Monday was an urgent motion for the transfer of Richard Brodett and Jorge Joseph from the PDEA detention center in Quezon City to the Muntinlupa City Jail, according to PDEA’s statement.

The filing of the cases stemmed from President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s order to file criminal charges against the Brodett, Joseph, and Joseph Tecson for supposedly possessing and peddling high-end illegal drugs.

Earlier in the day, Tecson faced the arraignment on his drug case at the Quezon City regional trial court Branch 103, where he pleaded not guilty of charges of selling and possessing illegal narcotics, or violations of Sections 5 and 11, respectively, under Republic Act No. 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

Still, Quezon City RTC Branch 103 presiding judge Jose Salazar Jr. ordered Tecson transferred to the Quezon City Jail. Salazar also scheduled the pre-trial for Tecson’s case and the hearing for his petition for bail is scheduled on May 18.

After Salazar’s order, Tecson was subsequently transferred to the city jail, after nearly seven months in detention at the PDEA detention center.

Tecson, Brodett and Joseph were arrested by PDEA agents in separate buy-bust and follow up operations in September 2008.

Their drug case sparked controversy after the PDEA in December 2008 accused Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutors of receiving bribe for recommending the dismissal of the case. The prosecutors concerned had repeatedly denied taking bribes.

In her March 20 order, President Arroyo overturned the DOJ resolution recommending the junking of the case and said the three affluent suspects should be charged in court. - Sophia Dedace, GMANews.TV
Go to comments