GMA News Online
Sports

Elorde's grandson, Navarete's boy pull out of boxfest

January 25, 2010 6:37pm
PUERTO PRINCESA CITY - Second-generation boxers failed to make it but the 2010 Smart-Abap National Amateur Boxing Championship is still overflowing with talent with the participation of rising stars eager to clinch a slot in the national youth squad.

Abap executive director Ed Picson said Monday the grandson of boxing great Gabriel “Flash" Elorde and son of former junior lightweight champion Rolando Navarete qualified, but had a last-minute change of heart due to personal reasons.

Justine Konstantine Elorde knocked out Jeric Diaz to win the 52-kilogram crown in the junior boys (14-16 years) division of the National Capital Region qualifier in Mandaluyong City last year while Rolando Jr. captured the 46-kilogram title after stopping Edwin Joaquino in the third round.

And with the absence of these two promising boxers, attention will be focused on Bago City’s James Palicti in the 52-kilogram of the junior boys division and Dennis Galban in the 64-kilogram category of the youth (17-18 years old) division.

Sydney-based pug Robin Palileo, a protégé of 1972 Olympian Ric Fortaleza, will also see action to defend his 57-kilogram title in the youth division.

“It could have been more exciting if Elorde and Navarete Jr. join us to compete against the finest young boxers in the country," Picson said.

“But it’s okay. The field remains stronger than we thought. We’re expecting an exciting, action-packed week, especially with the presence of other topnotch boxers who won the title in their respective regions."

A total of 224 boxers and 72 coaches and officials confirmed their participation in the tournament which stakes 14 slots in the national youth squad for the 2010 Singapore Youth Olympics in August.

National coaches Patricio Gaspi, Roel Velasco, Romeo Brin and Boy Catolico will be at ringside to serve as the selection panel in this nationwide tryout. - GMANews.TV
Go to comments