GMA News Online
News
»
Nation

Hubert Webb seeks P180K compensation for 'unlawful' conviction

June 14, 2011 6:31pm
Acquitted murder suspect Hubert Webb wants government to compensate him for the 180 months he spent behind bars.

On Tuesday, Webb went to the Department of Justice's Board of Claims to file a P180,000 compensation claim for what he said was his "unlawful conviction" for the June 1991 killing of Estrellita, Carmela, and Jennifer Vizconde.

Webb's lawyer, said that Webb is entitled to P1,000 for every month he spent in jail.

"There's a Board of Claims here in the DOJ, so once you are convicted and subsequently acquitted, you are entitled to compensation from the government," said lawyer Joaquin Miguel Hizon.

In December last year, the Supreme Court acquitted Webb and six other co-accused in the massacre.

The Surpeme Court reversed the Court of Appeals' December 2005 decision to uphold Webb's conviction by the Parañaque Regional Trial Court Branch 274 in January 2000.

The high court made the decision noting that the prosecution was not able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Webb and the six other men were guilty.

Vizconde massacre reinvestigation

The SC's decision prompted the government to reinvestigate the Vizconde massacre to determine the real perpetrators behind the killings.

The government task force, led by the Department of Justice and the Department of the Interior and Local Government, has until the end of this month to unmask the suspects and file charges against them.

The crime of murder has a prescription period of 20 years. This means that the government has until June 30, 2011 — 20 years after the massacre — to file new charges against suspected perpetrators of the crime.

Task Force Vizconde is looking into at least three sets of suspects, including Webb's group. De Lima said that the SC's acquittal does not mean that Webb and his companions are innocent.

The task force has so far determined the authenticity of the passport Webb supposedly used in 1991. Webb has said in his defense that he was in the United States at the time of the killings.

On Tuesday, Webb maintained that he was in the US and that his passport was genuine.

He added that on Monday, the US Embassy denied his application for a visa because he overstayed in the US.

"I went to get my visa, and it was denied because I overstayed. That was just yesterday. So what will they say now? [My visa application] was denied because I was overstaying," said Webb. — VS, GMA News



We welcome healthy discussions and friendly debate! Please click Flag to alert us of a comment that may be abusive or threatening. Read our full comment policy here.
Comments Powered by Disqus