GMA News Online
News
»
Nation

Zubiri mulls re-election in 2013

August 3, 2011 10:02pm

Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri, who announced his resignation on Wednesday, said he is planning to seek re-election in 2013.

In an interview by GMA News reporter Mariz Umali aired on “24 Oras," Zubiri said he hopes that his victory in 2013 will be more “convincing."

Hindi pa po tayo nagsasawa sa paglilingkod sa ating bayan kaya gusto ko sanang bumalik sa 2013," he said when asked about his political plans after his resignation.

Hopefully, ang aking panalo ay mas convincing. Hindi tayo pang-12 ulit. Basta sa akin po karangalan kong maglingkod sa bayan," he added.


Zubiri’s victory in the 2007 elections is being contested by Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III, who ranked 13th with 10,987,347 votes. Zubiri scraped through at 12th with 11,005,866. Pimentel has filed an electoral protest against Zubiri before the Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET).

Zubiri’s resignation came amid fresh allegation that he benefited from alleged cheating in the 2007 elections, particularly in the province of Maguindanao.

In a privilege speech at the Senate earlier in the day, Zubiri denied being a party in any election irregularities. It was during this speech that he announced his resignation, saying the accusations have already affected his family.

Zubiri's family, meanwhile, supported his decision.

“The main issue here is at least Migs (Zubiri's nickname) has shown his honor, and it's an honor for us," said Bukidnon Vice Gov. Joe Zubiri, who was present at the Senate session hall when Zubiri delivered his speech.

A “24 Oras" showed the elder Zubiri hugging his son after the speech.

Also present at the session hall were Zubiri's wife Audrey, and mother Vicky. — KBK, GMA News
Go to comments




We welcome healthy discussions and friendly debate! Please click Flag to alert us of a comment that may be abusive or threatening. Read our full comment policy here.
Comments Powered by Disqus