Manila hostage crisis survivors to seek compensation from PHL govt
Survivors Chan Kwok-chu and Yik Siu-ling applied for legal aid to pursue their claim, Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) reported on Thursday.
The two survivors, together with Tse Che-kin — brother of slain tour guide Masa Tse — are planning to go to the Philippines later this month to meet with some government officials, the RTHK report said.
A separate report on Hong Kong’s "The Standard" on Friday said the three are planning to go to Manila August 21, two days before the first anniversary of the tragedy on August 23.
On Wednesday, the group sent a letter to Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen seeking the help of the Hong Kong government to settle the incident through diplomatic channels, the report said.
However, a spokesman said the Chief Executive's Office is not in a position to intervene because it is a civil case, the report added.
Eight Hong Kong visitors were killed in the bus siege, along with their hostage taker dismissed police Senior Inspector Rolando Mendoza.
Mendoza had taken a tourist bus hostage on August 23 last year to demand his reinstatement into the police force.
After an 11-hour standoff, eight tourists, and Mendoza himself, were killed in the incident.
The Philippine government’s handling of the crisis has been heavily criticized.
Up to now, Hong Kong has yet to lift the “black" travel alert discouraging travel to the Philippines. - VVP, GMA News