GMA News Online
News
»
Regions

7 killed, 8 hurt in MILF Zambo Sibugay ambush

October 21, 2011 8:31am

(Update 4:45 p.m.) Seven government security forces, including four soldiers and three cops, were killed while eight others were wounded following three attacks staged by suspected Moro Islamic Liberation Front rebels in Zamboanga Sibugay in a span of five hours, a military report said Friday.

The successive attacks came two days after 19 soldiers, including four junior officers, were killed in an encounter with suspected MILF rebels in Basilan.

President Benigno Aquino III, however, has ruled out any all-out war campaign against the MILF, stressing that the existing ceasefire agreement will not be suspended and that peace negotiations with the rebel group will continue.



The military report said the first ambush was staged at 7:21 p.m. Thursday in Barangay Gulayon in Alicia town.

The attack resulted in the death of four soldiers and the wounding of five others — all belonging to elements of the 102nd Brigade.

Earlier in the day, the fatality count in this attack stood at three and six wounded. But Col. Santiago Baluyot, commander of the 102nd Brigade, said one of those wounded died later on.

An Army sergeant, earlier reported as missing, was also recovered, Baluyot said.

A second attack was recorded in Ipil town around 9:30 p.m. where an Army enlisted personnel was wounded, Army officials said.

The third attack transpired 12:15 a.m. Friday when suspected MILF rebels fired at a joint military-police patrol in Barangay Simbol in Kabasalan town.

Three policemen were killed while two others, a cop and an Army private, were wounded.

In both attacks, there were no reported rebel casualties. — MRT/RSJ, GMA News