Gloria Arroyo denies alleged overpricing of bridge projects
Former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Monday denied allegations that bridge projects undertaken during her incumbency were overpriced.
“The President’s Bridge Program spans four administrations. Tandaan po natin na dumaan sa masusing proseso ang lahat ng kontratang ito,” Mrs. Arroyo’s spokesperson, Elena Bautista-Horn, said in a text message.
Earlier in the day, Senato Sergio Osmeña III sought an investigation on “serial plunder” allegedly committed during Mrs. Arroyo’s term. Specifically, Osmeña wanted an inquiry into 14 bridge contracts worth P111 billion entered into by the government .
The administration senator also said that Mrs. Arroyo “misrepresented” the bridge program as an Official Development Assistance (ODA) project, which justified her administration’s decision to forego public bidding.
Horn, however, questioned the “motive and timing” of Osmeña’s accusations.
“Hindi lamang po ang dating pangulo ang pinaparatangan ni Senator Osmeña, kundi ang mga nakaraan at kasalukuyang pangulo, ang mga ibang gobyerno gaya ng Britanya at Pransya, pati ang daan-daang mga tapat at marangal na kawani na nag-aral ng mga proyekto,” the former President’s spokesperson said.
Mrs. Arroyo, the incumbent congresswoman representing the second district of Pampanga, is currently out on bail for poll sabotage charges.
She is also facing separate graft charges before the Sandiganbayan for the botched national broadband deal entered into by the government with the Chinese firm ZTE during her incumbency. — DVM, GMA News