Police: 13 dead in jeep-truck collision in Ilocos Norte
(Updated 5:43 p.m.) Twelve people, most of them high school students, were killed while one was seriously injured after the passenger jeep they were riding collided with a 14-wheeler truck along the national highway in Sarrat town in Ilocos Norte early Tuesday.
Sarrat police head Chief Inspector Christopher Danao cited initial information indicating the incident occurred at 7:30 a.m. in Barangay 18 in Sarrat.
In an interview on radio dzBB, he described the incident as “a gruesome incident.” He added the students were on their way to school when the collision occurred.
Some of the fatalities were identified as:
- Ludwig dela Cruz from Brgy Agitap, Solsona and driver of the passenger jeepney who was pronounced dead on arrival at Ablan Hospital;
- Glister Romero, jeepney conductor from Brgy Albano, Dingras, dead on arrival at Governor Roque Ablan Sr. Memorial Hospital (GRASMH);
- Angelica Cruz, 14, third year high school student from Parang, Sarrat, declared dead on arrival at Dingras District Hospital;
- Mikee Winnie Agbayani from Suyo, Dingras, dead on the spot;
- Jessica DC Durupan, 13, from Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat, dead on the spot;
- Rylee Agustin Canonizado from Brgy Suyo who died while undergoing medical treatment at GRASMH;
- Jeremy Burgos, 11, first year high school student from Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat, dead on the spot;
- Evelyn Canonizado, from Brgy Suyo, Dingras, dead on the spot;
- Jane Ashley Pumaras, 15, 4th year high school student of Santa Rosa National High School;
- Angelica Malilay from Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat who died in Mariano Marcos Memorial Hospital (MMMH) in Batac;
- Steve Bueno, from Parang, Sarrat who died while undergoing medical treatment; and
- one unidentified male who was dead on arrival at Dingras District Hospital
Victim Joshua Bolibol, 12, from Parang, San Marcos, Sarrat is undergoing medical treatment at GRASMH.
The driver of the truck, identified as Vencio Butac, surrendered to police after the incident.
A police report said the Laoag City-bound jeepney (AVZ 924) tried to overtake another vehicle when it collided with the truck (TGW 104) carrying tomato paste.
Region 1 police director Chief Supt. Franklin Jesus Bucayu ordered an in-depth investigation on the accident to give justice to the family of the victims. — with Amita Legaspi/RSJ/DVM, GMA News
Go to comments