Comelec to disqualify incumbent party-list group from 2013 polls
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) will disqualify a party-list group with an incumbent representative from joining the 2013 polls.
"Siguradong merong matatanggal [na party-list] na may incumbent congressman," Comelec chair Sixto Brillantes Jr. told reporters in an interview on Thursday.
He refused, however, to name the group or give any clue regarding the matter.
"Next week i-aannounce natin," he said.
Brillantes issued the statement after militant groups asked the Comelec to disqualify Akbayan Citizen’s Action Party from the party-list race in 2013.
But Brillantes quickly stressed that they have yet to tackle Akbayan's case so the group he is referring to is different.
The poll body is currently in the process of reviewing the registration applications of the party-lists who wish to seek congressional seats next year.
Just last week, 17 party-list organizations were disqualified. Brillantes said they may announce 20 more next week. — Kimberly Jane Tan/RSJ, GMA News
Talk of the web