With both fighters going for the KO, Pacquiao vows to definitively prove to Marquez that he's the better boxer
Two days before Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao faces Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez for the fourth time, the Sarangani congressman swore he would end any doubts his opponent still has about who the better fighter is.
In an exclusive interview on "Unang Hirit" Friday, Pacquiao acknowledged that both sides were shooting for a knockout (KO) win in order to have a decisive end to the question of whom the better fighter was, saying, "Ang target natin is matapos, ma-end ang mga doubts niya [Marquez] in mind [as to who the better fighter is]."
Pacquiao and Marquez have previously battled to a draw in their first bout in 2004, a split-decision win by the Filipino in 2008, and a controversial majority decision by "Pacman" more than a year ago.
Interestingly enough, Pacquiao has not achieved a KO win since 2009, versus Ricky Hatton. Marquez's last KO win was in 2011 against Likar Ramos.
In order to achieve this, Pacquiao said that he is developing his right hand and a few new punch combinations, while a previous report had him channeling his 25-year-old, more aggressive self.
He also shrugged off the talk of Marquez's bulked-up state, saying, "The more na malaki ang katawan niya, mas sa advantage natin…dahil magiging mabagal siya. Mas madaling ma-counter."
Right now though, Pacquiao said that he was just resting, in preparation for Friday's (Saturday, PHL time) weigh-in, adding, "Ang timbang ko wala nang problema. Actually din na ako pinatakbo kanina. Relax lang ngayon. Loosening [up] ngalang at pahinga pagkatapos."
When asked if he was already making plans for his next fight, following Marquez, Pacquiao simply said that he looked forward to going back to the Philippines, and helping the people affected by Tropical Storm Pablo, adding that he was praying for the many victims of the natural disaster. — LBG/AMD, GMA News
Talk of the web