Japan provides additional $4.2-M emergency aid to Pablo victims
'Pablo' survivors try to bounce back after devastation. Carefully balancing her way through a mountain of debris, a typhoon survivor with a bag of relief goods returns to where her house once stood in New Bataan, Compostela Valley. More than 700 persons died and hundreds more missing after Typhoon Pablo devastated many towns in northeast Mindanao on Dec. 4. Survivors are appealing for more government help as massive rebuilding awaits the devastated towns. Reuters/Erik De Castro
The Japanese government announced Thursday that it will be providing additional $4.2 million emergency grant aid to the Philippines for the victims of Typhoon Pablo (Bopha).
This is in response to the call and damage assessment issued by United Nations and the Philippines on December 10, the Japanese Embassy in Manila said in a press statement.
The emergency grant aid aims to provide urgently needed food, shelter, water and sanitation through the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), the Internationa Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
The Japan government had earlier extended emergency relief goods such as tents, jerry cans, sleeping pads, among others, equivalent to approximately Y45 million (about P22 million) to the country, through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), on December 8. The turnover ceremony was held in Manila on Wednesday, December 12.
The United States earlier promised to give additional $3 million (P122.88 million).
"(Today), the US government is providing additional $3 million to address Typhoon Pablo-related humanitarian needs including support for shelter, logistics, and food," US Ambassador Harry Thomas Jr said.
Initially, the US had extended $100,000 for victims of Pablo, to be given to the Catholic Relief Services.
Australia and Canada also pledged to give P210 million and P10 million, respectively.
As of 6 a.m. Thursday, the death toll from Pablo soared to 902 with 635 remained missing.
Of the 902 dead, 567 have been identified, even as 2,661 were injured and a total of 415 have been rescued so far, it added.
The NDRRMC said Pablo has affected 528,750 families or 5,474,313 people in 1,946 villages in 252 towns and 36 cities in 30 provinces.
Damage caused by Pablo was estimated at P14,303,051,878.05, including:
- P4,575,011,300 in infrastructure,
- P9,679,353,165.05 in agriculture, and
- P48,687,413 in private properties.
Five provinces, 41 towns and four cities in Southern Luzon, Central Visayas, and Regions 10, 11 and Caraga have declared a state of calamity.
As of Thursday, 19 bridges and seven roads are still impassable while 35 areas are still experiencing power interruption. — Amita Legaspi/RSJ, GMA News