DOJ wraps up probe on rape case vs Nueva Ecija town vice mayor
The case has been submitted for resolution after victim "Mina" and Borja submitted their respective complaint-affidavit and counter-affidavit before investigating prosecutor Josie Christina Dugay.
The victim alleged that the vice mayor impregnated her after raping her when she was just 17 years old. Their alleged love child is now 10 months old, according to Mina.
Borja had denied Jasmin's accusation, saying they used to be in a relationship before.
"Walang naganap na panghahalay,” Borja said in an interview aired on GMA News' “24 Oras” last May. “Sa tingin ko ay pulitika lang. Ang vice president ng Gabriela ay lola niya. Iyon ang nakakalaban ko sa pulitika at kasalukuyang nakaupo bilang konsehal."
On Thursday, both Mina and Borja dropped by the DOJ office in Manila to reaffirm their respective affidavits in a preliminary hearing.
The preliminary investigation was originally conducted in Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija, but the victim requested that the case be transferred to the DOJ main office to prevent Borja from using his authority in the province to influence the outcome of the case.
Accompanying Mina during her visit to the DOJ was Gabriela party-list Emmi de Jesus, who said Mina had gone through counselling since the incident happened.
"Ang respondent ay isang makapangyarihang tao na nasa loob din ng rehiyon," De Jesus said, adding they fear Borja would enter into a settlement with the victim if the case would not be transferred to Manila.
Mina had earlier filed a separate qualified seduction case against Borja with the Cabanatuan Prosecutor's Office.
De Jesus said that Borja had a second rape victim, "Jasmin," who initially filed a similar rape case but eventually withdrew it. — Mark D. Merueñas/KBK,GMA News