The most quotable quotes of 2012
Some of the following quotes uttered in 2012 may be remembered long after we forget that the world was supposed to end this year.
1. "More fun in the Philippines is true. Kering keri natin ang campaign na 'to."
— Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez (Jan. 6, 2012) during the launch of the Philippines’ new tourism campaign, “It’s More Fun in the Philippines.”
2. “Ang yayabang ng mga nagsasalita ng ganyan, gago naman. Wha! I request the secretary to record in our journal that I said Wha!"
— Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago (Feb. 29, 2012) criticizing the prosecutors from the House of Representatives for allegedly bragging about their “victory” despite dropping five charges against then-impeached Chief Justice Renato Corona.
3. “And now, the Chief justice of the Republic of the Philippines wishes to be excused.”
— Chief Justice Renato Corona (May 22, 2012) before walking out of the Senate and after delivering his three-hour statement on the impeachment charges made against him
4. “Kaya iyong mga palusot po, minsan, mahirap. Hindi po magtugma-tugma. We tend to contradict ourselves if we do not tell the truth.”
— Ilocos Norte Rep. Rodolfo Fariñas (May 28, 2012) making the prosecution's closing argument to convict Chief Justice Renato Corona.
5. “In his honor, please smile at the person standing next to you. Heaven is a happier place with him there. And for us whom he's left behind, comedy is dead but long live comedy.”
— Eric Quizon (July 10, 2012) after confirming that his father Dolphy, or Rodolfo Quizon Sr., had just passed away.
6. "Tsinelas leadership is about no frills, no kaartehan but with a clear vision."
— Cabinet Secretary and former Energy Sec. Rene Almendras (Aug. 26, 2012) describing Interior Sec. Jesse Robredo's leadership during the eulogy for the late official.
7. “Aba, nagtatagalog na pala si Kennedy.”
“Copying or imitation is the highest form of flattery. But if it upsets the Kennedy family, well then I'm sorry but that is not the intention we had when we used it.”
— Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III on accusations that he plagiarized a part of his Turno En Contra against the Reproductive Health (RH) bill from a speech of the late US senator Robert F. Kennedy.
8. “Pilipino ba 'yan? Makabayan ba 'yan? What kind of senator is this?... My God, this guy is a fraud. I do not want to discuss anymore this sordid matter. It is enough that I read these notes of Ambassador [Sonia] Brady to unmask this Phantom of the Opera in Philippine politics."
— Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile (September 19, 2012) referring to Senator Antonio Trillanes IV's backchannel talks with Chinese authorities regarding Panatag (Scarborough) shoal.
9.“Although they’re religious and members of Catholic orders, the Jesuits and Christian brothers have failed to uphold orthodoxy and defend the Church. As far as the RH bill and support for it among their faculty are concerned, they’re lemons.”
— The Varsitarian (Oct. 7, 2012) speaking out against fellow Catholic universities Ateneo de Manila and La Salle for their professors' support of the reproductive health (RH) bill
10. “Tawang-tawa ako sa narinig kong joke. Yung mga kababayan raw ho nating corrupt sa Pilipinas, kagagara ng kotse, kamamahal, katutulin. Pero pagka ginustong tumakas, ang ginagamit wheelchair.”
— President Benigno Aquino III (Oct. 22, 2012) poking fun at former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo during a speech delivered before a Filipino community in Auckland, New Zealand.
11. “So you're telling me I'm a liar? I'm a liar? I'm a liar? Answer me! May pinag-aralan akong tao. Ginanon mo ako. I'm just returning the favor!”
- Unhappy commuter (Nov. 13, 2012) in a viral video showing her arguing with a lady security guard at the Light Railway Transit (LRT) Santolan station.
12. “I never expected that punch. He gave me a good shot. That's boxing. Sometimes, we get hit.”
— Filipino boxing icon and Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao (Dec. 9, 2012) on the punch that cost him his bout with Mexican foe Juan Manuel Marquez.
13. “Sabihin ko kay Bob Arum, 'Stop na.' Hindi hayop ang anak ko, tao siya. Ang trabaho niya focus nalang sa pulitika. Iwanan na lang niya ang pag boxing.”
— Mommy Dionisia (Dec. 9, 2012) after her son Manny Pacquiao lost to Mexican foe Juan Manuel Marquez.
14. “I am not against life, I am against ignorance.”
— DIWA party-list Rep. Emmeline Aglipay (Dec. 12, 2012) explaining her “Yes” vote on the Reproductive Health bill.
15. "For me, being Ms. Universe is not just about knowing how to speak a specific language. It's being able to influence and inspire other people. So whatever language you have, as long as your heart is to serve and you have a strong mind to show to people, then you can be Ms. Universe."
— Miss Universe first runner-up Janine Mari Tugonon (Dec. 20, 2012) during the question-and-answer round of the beauty pageant.
— RSJ/HS, GMA News
TAGGED IN yearender quotablequotes miriamdefensorsantiago mannypacquiao morefuninthephilippines vicentesottoiii