On eve of gun ban, Comelec chief issues reminders on exemptions
On his Twitter account, Brillantes also reminded gun owners not covered by the exemption that their authority to carry firearms outside their homes are revoked starting Sunday.
He said those who are granted exemption from the ban include:
- Vice President Jejomar Binay
- senators not running for re-election
- Cabinet secretaries
Also granted exemption are regular officers, members and agents of government agencies performing law enforcement and/or security functions. These include those from
- Bureau of Corrections, Department of Justice, Provincial and City Jails
- Bureau of Immigration: Commissioner and Deputy Commissioners; Law and Investigation Division and Intelligence Division
- Secretary, Undersecretaries, Assistant Secretaries and the Internal Security of the Office of the Secretary of the Interior and Local Government
- Secretary, Undersecretaries, Assistant Secretaries, Prosecutor-General, Chief State Prosecutor, and State, Regional, Provincial and City Prosecutors; of the Department of Justice
- the Solicitor-General
- the Ombudsman, Deputy Ombudsman and Investigators and Prosecutors of the Office of the Ombudsman
- the Chairmen and Commissioners of the Constitutional Commissions
- the Chairperson and Commissioners of the Commission on Human Rights, and
- the Chief Public Attorney
Incumbent House members, governors
Brillantes said with the gun ban, "all existing authority granting security personnel or bodyguards to carry firearms are hereby revoked at the start of the election period."
However, those exempted include regular security personnel complement of the President, Vice President, Senators who are not running for re-election, Justices, Judges, Cabinet Secretaries, Chairman and Commissioners of the Commission on Elections, Chief of Staff of the AFP and AFP Major Service Commanders, Director Generals and Senior Officers of the PNP.
Incumbent members of the House of Representatives and provincial governors, whether or not running for re-election or for another elective office, whose regular security complement have been provided by Officers or Members of the PNP, AFP, NBI or other Government Law Enforcement Agencies for at least one year may retain the services of the officers or members of said government agencies, provided they shall be allowed to retain the services of a maximum of two currently detailed officers or members of the said law enforcement government agencies.
In cases where the House members or governors need added security personnel, they may apply for authority to engage the services of additional security personnel or bodyguard from duly licensed and accredited privately-owned or operated security, investigative, protective or intelligence agencies in accordance with the procedures in the Comelec's resolution.
As to gun manufacturers, importers, exporters, distributors and dealers, Brillantes said the delivery shall be done by the authorized manufacturer, importer, exporter, distributor or dealer itself or himself on a one-way basis directly to the address of the buyer within 24 hours from the date as indicated in the authority and under the strict conditions imposed by the PNP for the allowance of the transport.
"Likewise, the transport or delivery of firearms and spare parts for export to airports/seaports on a one-way basis; or the transport or delivery of imported parts, spare parts and other raw materials used in the manufacturing of firearms directly to the manufacturing facility of the licensed manufacturer, with prior notice to the Commission, shall be authorized," he said. - VVP, GMA News