GMA News Online
News
»
Regions

Cebu college student figures in sex video scandal, but allowed to graduate

February 8, 2013 5:37am
A student of a private university in Cebu province has figured in a scandal over a two-year-old sex video that was recently posted online, but is getting support from her school and will be allowed to graduate.
 
The scandal had gained controversy because the student's school uniform was supposedly shown in the video, radio dzBB's Cebu affiliate Orchids Lapincao reported Friday.
 
But the report said the school became sympathetic to her after she explained that the video was made two years ago, and that it was not for public consumption.
 
She said that when the mobile phone used to take the video was misplaced, the finder may have accessed the video and uploaded it online.
 
The report said the incident had led to harassment and bullying of students and even school employees, prompting school authorities to suspend the wearing of uniforms for their protection.
 
However, the suspension of wearing uniforms will be lifted on Monday, Feb. 11.
 
School's statement
 
While the dzBB report withheld the name of the school, the University of San Jose-Recoletos issued a statement on the matter and posted it on its Facebook page.
 
In the statement read by USJ-R president Fr. Enrico Peter Silab, the school said it had been "steps ahead" in helping the student before the controversy became public.
 
"Measures to insure that she would finish her course with the minimum amount of exposure, so as to protect her privacy, were immediately put in place," he said in the statement posted on the school's Facebook account.
 
He also said the school made arrangements where the student may report to her professors outside of class for lessons, and she was allowed to continue her internship.
 
Also, he said her thesis defense was scheduled and will proceed on the date set by her professor.
 
"The extent to which the school strategized to ensure that she could complete her studies shows there is no truth to reports that the school has excluded or expelled the student," he added.
 
"Once she is able to complete the academic requirements of her course and complied with necessary procedure for graduation, she will graduate," he said.
 
Administrative probe
 
Silab said that while an administrative investigation was held, it was "overshadowed" by the controversy and the student's "physical and psychological well-being became our main priority."
 
Besides, he said the video was made two years ago.
 
"A lot can change in a person in two years. And a lot did change for the better in the person in this present case," he said.
 
Greater danger
 
For now, Silab said the greater danger now is the one faced by their school's students faculty, staff and alumni of their school who have been reporting incidents of harassment, bullying and ridicule both online and in the real world.
 
"The school is ready, willing and able to provide legal assistance through lawyers from our prestigious School of Law and counsellors from our very capable Department of Psychology to any Josenian who brings forth a complaint," he said.
 
"Students, faculty and personnel who find themselves harassed, disrespected or bullied ar urged to take photographic recording or video evidence that will identify the perpetrator for easier prosecution under the law," he added.
 
Meanwhile, he reassured the USJ-R community the incident "does not define what and who we are (but) it does present us with the opportunity to show the rest of the world that we ar courageous in dealing with issues such as this."  — ELR, GMA News



We welcome healthy discussions and friendly debate! Please click Flag to alert us of a comment that may be abusive or threatening. Read our full comment policy here.
Comments Powered by Disqus