Palace defends PNP’s daily updates on Napoles
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the updates are mainly for the media, who she said cannot see Napoles because of tight security at Fort Sto. Domingo.
“Ang sa atin, the PNP is doing this for the sake of transparency. Nakita natin maraming interesado sa kaso kaya tayo nagbibigay ng daily update para magkaroon ng idea ang media na nagbabantay doon," Valte said on dzRB.
Napoles has been detained at Fort Sto. Domingo since September 1, following her predawn transfer there from the Makati City Jail.
She had been ordered arrested and detained by a Makati court on charges of serious illegal detention. She surrendered to President Benigno Aquino last Aug. 28.
But her lawyer Lorna Kapunan questioned the PNP’s daily updates that are posted on the PNP social network accounts and are accessible to anyone, even those not from media.
“Wala naman sigurong masama sa pagbigay ng update sa kawani ng media," said Valte.
Controversy a challenge
Meanwhile, Valte said the administration considers the pork barrel fund scam as “one of the challenges” it now faces.
She said President Aquino, since the beginning of his term, has been working to fulfill his vow to “uncover the land mines” of the past.
“It’s a challenge we face and we accept,” she said.
She said the goal is now to reassure foreign investors by holding accountable all those who the investigation will find liable.
“To get to that we have to be assured that the cases that will be filed are based on solid evidence.... Eventually that is the goal, accountability ang hinahabol natin dito," she said. — LBG, GMA News