GMA News Online
News
»
Nation

Palace expects financier in Zamboanga City crisis to be unmasked

September 21, 2013 11:52am

PNoy meets with his top men in Zambo
PNoy meets with his top men in Zambo. President Benigno Aquino III meets with Secretaries Mar Roxas, Voltaire Gazmin, Dinky Soliman, PNP chief Alan Purisima, and members of the AFP in Zamboanga City on Wednesday morning, September 18. Malacañang Photo/HO
Malacañang on Saturday said it expects the financier of the attack on Zamboanga City by followers of Moro National Liberation Front founding chairman Nur Misuari to be unmasked in the coming days.
 
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that once the investigation into the incident gets underway, it should find clues on who backed the attack that triggered the crisis.
 
“Saka na natin makikita yan, in the coming days. Napagutos ng Pangulong Aquino ang imbestigasyon sa pangyayaring ito (We will know soon enough in the coming days. President Benigno Aquino III already ordered an investigation into what happened),” she said on government-run dzRB radio when asked who financed the attack.
 
“Pag doon sa investigation, makikita kung meron silang tulong na nakuha sa ibang tao o sa ibang grupo (In the investigation we expect to know the individuals and groups that provided help to these Misuari followers),” she added.
 
Followers of Misuari had infiltrated some villages in the city since Sept. 9, taking many civilian hostages. The crisis entered its 13th day on Saturday.
 
The military claimed the government forces had retaken most of the MNLF-controlled areas and is now in the clearing operations stage.
 
But Valte said the focus of the government efforts in Zamboanga City for now is still on the clearing operations.
 
“Ngayon ang focus ng pamahalaan ang clearing operations, at patuloy na paninigurado natin magiging ligtas ang lugar na inokupa ng member ng Misuari faction (For now our focus is on clearing operations. We want to make sure the areas previously occupied by the Misuari faction are safe),” she said.
 
Meanwhile, Valte said there will be no announcement on until when Aquino will stay in Zamboanga City, “for security reasons.”
 
But she also assured the Office of the President has made arrangements for urgent documents to be brought to Aquino’s attention.  — ELR, GMA News




We welcome healthy discussions and friendly debate! Please click Flag to alert us of a comment that may be abusive or threatening. Read our full comment policy here.
Comments Powered by Disqus