Proud father Mosley in Manila to kick-start charity boxing card; thinks Pacquiao can best Bradley
Mosley's reason is simple. He wants to use his clout as a boxing personality to be able to help the victims of the recent natural calamities here and in other parts of Southeast Asia.
The non-profit organization United Boxing Relief Fund, headed by business agent Germaine Gillies, plans on holding a gala dinner followed by a boxing card in the Philippines with proceeds going to charity. Gillies, who grew up in Baguio and is fluent in both Filipino and Ilocano is doing this to be able to give back to the country she still calls home.
“I want to be able to give back to my people,” Gillies said during the press conference at the Fairmont Hotel in Makati. “We could have gotten a Filipino fighter as the face of the organization but Shane was the perfect fit."
She then went on to point out that Mosley took pictures with everyone when he headed out to a mall the day before. Liked universally in the boxing world, Gillies said that most of the boxers they’ve invited will come to the Philippines because of their relationships with Mosley. However, she didn’t want to drop names as no contracts had been signed yet.
“We don’t want to disappoint anyone, but we have gotten soft commitments from a lot of former champions,” she said. “We will announce names in the coming days.”
Sydney Hall, a US lawyer and one of the heads of the project explained that the event has been planned for a long time.
“We started a year ago and we’ve been begging him [Mosley] to do the project with us,” Hall said. “All of a sudden the big storm hit. We went back to Shane and asked him if he’ll go with us to the Philippines and he said yes.”
Mosley decided to go to the Philippines to give their project a head-start, even if meant missing some of his son’s fights. The three-division world champion who fought the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather, Oscar de la Hoya, Miguel Cotto, and Antonio Margarito will be flying out on Friday night to catch his son’s bout in the finals.
The proud father however could not stop himself from talking about his son during the press conference.
“My main plan is for my son to turn pro,” Mosley said. “He sparred with [Saul] 'Canelo' Alvarez for his fight against Floyd Mayweather and Canelo said my son was pretty good.”
If all goes on as planned. Shane Mosley Jr. will debut on April at the MGM Grand. He’ll be included in the undercard of the fight between Manny Pacquiao and a still-to-be-determined foe, which multiple sources claim to be Timothy Bradley.
With regards to a second Pacquiao-Bradley fight, Mosley said that he also thought Pacquiao won. He added that he expects Pacquiao to win in a rematch as he already knows exactly what he’s up against. However, he cautioned the eight-division champion that an athlete’s body drastically changes at his age.
Mosley also discussed the possibility of Pacquiao-Mayweather finally stepping into the ring against each other. “I think Mayweather has the edge because of his speed and his defense but I also think that Manny can hurt Mayweather, which could change the entire demographic of the fight,” Mosley said. “We really can’t know for sure because styles make fights in boxing but it should be a good match. It would be very good for boxing." - AMD, GMA News