GMA News Online
Pinoy Abroad

Balik-Manggagawa registration guide

July 9, 2007 3:33pm
A worker-on-leave (Balik-Manggagawa) refers to an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who is on vacation or on leave and is returning to the same employer within six months from arrival in the Philippines.

Registration of Balik-Manggagawa can be done either individually or through the agency that deployed the OFW.

Documentary requirements

A Balik-Manggagawa shall submit the following documents to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) or to designated centers or units in the country or overseas for registration and for issuance of exit clearance:

• Valid Passport
• Re-entry visa, work permit, or any equivalent document
• Proof that worker is returning to the same employer

Registration fee

Fees that a worker-on-leave shall pay to register and secure an e-Receipt and/or overseas employment certificate (OEC) and/or OFW Electron ID card (e-Card):

Php 100.00 - POEA Processing Fee
Php 900.00 - Medicare Coverage Premium
Php US$ 25.00 or peso equivalent in OWWA membership contribution

A worker-on-leave with valid Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) membership and Medicare coverage shall only pay Php 100.00 for the POEA processing fee.

The e-Card is issued to a worker-on-leave for free.

The e-Receipt and/or OEC shall serve as travel exit clearance and exemptions from payment of travel tax and airport terminal fee.

Where to register and secure e-Receipt and/or OEC and/or e-Card

Balik-Manggagawa may register individually or through the recruitment agency that previously deployed them.

A Worker-on-Leave may secure the e-Receipt /OEC or e-Card at:

•Balik-Manggagawa Processing Division(BMPD) Service Area, POEA Bldg., Ortigas Avenue, corner EDSA, Mandaluyong City
•POEA Regional Centers and/or Regional Extension Units (REUs) and Satellite Offices
•POEA-deputized OWWA Regional Offices and Units
•Philippine Overseas Labor Offices (POLO) and various Philippine Embassies and Consulates abroad
•Exit Clearance Delivery System (Drop box)

POEA regional centers and/or regional extension units and satellite offices:

POEA Regional Center for Luzon
3rd Floor, South Paseo Yabes Bldg.
Rizal Avenue, San Fernando City
La Union

POEA Regional Ext. Unit-CAR
Benitez Court Compound
Magsaysay Avenue, Baguio City

POEA Satellite Office – Region III
Balikbayan Mall, Angeles City
Clark Field Pampanga

POEA Satellite Office – Region IV
No. 4 Penthouse, Hectan Commercial Center
Chipeco Ave., Brgy. Halang Calamba City

POEA Satellite Office – Region V
Ground Floor, OWWA RU 5
ANST Bldg., Washington Drive
Legaspi City

POEA Regional Center for Visayas
3rd Floor, Gemini Bldg.
719 M. J. Cuenco Ave., Cebu City

POEA Regional Ext. Unit – Region VI
2nd Floor, S. C. Divinagracia Bldg.
Quezon St., Iloilo City

POEA Satellite Office
2nd Floor, UTC Building
Araneta-Alunan St., Singcang
Bacolod City

POEA Satellite Office
DOLE Compound, Trece Martirez
Tacloban City

POEA Regional Center for Mindanao
2nd Flr., AMYA II Bldg.
Quimpo Blvd. cor. Tulip Drive
Ecoland, Davao City

POEA Regional Ext. Unit – Region IX
3rd Flr, TAUP Bldg, Nuñez Extension
Zamboanga City

POEA Regional Ext. Unit – Region X
3rd Floor, Acersyant Bldg.
Kauswagan Road
Cagayan de Oro City

POEA-deputized OWWA regional offices and units:

•OFW Balikbayan Assistance Center
Duty Free Fiesta Mall, Sucat , Parañaque City

•OWWA Tugegarao
Sycanco Bldg., Bonifacio Street, Tugegarao, Cagayan

•OWWA Regional Unit – Caraga
44 J.C Quirino Avenue, 8600 Butuan City

•Department of Labor and Employment Region XII, AYS Building
171 Sinsuat Ave., Cotabato City

persons not qualified to register as workers-on-leave:

•Dependents of Overseas Filipino Workers (they can avail of the privilege of reduced travel tax by applying at the Philippine Tourism Authority or PTA)

•Persons who are traveling on student visa

•Persons who are traveling on business visa

•Permanent Residents of foreign countries (they can avail of the privilege of travel tax exemption by applying at the PTA)

•Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who changed employers are considered new-hires

Requirements for reduced travel tax for dependents or OFWs:

Plane ticket
Marriage contract
Birth certificate
Latest e-Receipt and/or OEC and information sheet of the OFW

To be submitted at:

Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA),
Revenue Department, Travel Tax Division,
Department of Tourism
G/F 117, DOT Bldg., T.M. Kalaw, Manila

NOTE: Dependents are entitled to reduced tax privilege only if proceeding to OFW’s jobsite. Unmarried dependent children are only entitled to the privilege until the 21st birthday.

Things to bring to the airport upon departure:

e-Receipt or OEC

e-Receipt and OEC are valid only for sixty (60) days from the date of issuance.

Present e-Receipt or OEC (airport copy) at the airport terminal fee counter to avail of exemption from payment of terminal fee.

Go to comments