Sun.Star: Brothers kill brod over Pacquiao fight
The killing of stone craft worker Adelino Pino, 33, followed hours of peace in Cebu, with the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) reporting zero crime rate in the province while coverage of the Pacquiao-Marquez bout was ongoing in the morning until 4 p.m.
Police said Pino, after watching the Pacquiao-Marquez bout, invited his brothers Christopher, 31, Roberto, 28, and Restituto, 21, for drinks at his house in Sitio Hangar Kagudoy, Barangay Basak, Lapu-Lapu City in the evening.
While discussing Pacquiao's fight, Christopher began to feel the effect of the liquor and started throwing things inside the house, prompting Adelino to call his attention about it.
When Christopher ignored Adelino, the latter picked up a piece of wood and hit his brother with it, resulting in an altercation with Restituto and Roberto rushing to Christopher's side.
The three then beat up Adelino until one of them picked up a rock and bashed it on his head. He was rushed to the hospital but he died past 10 p.m.
After the incident, the three fled, but barangay tanods and responding policemen caught up with them and arrested Christopher and Roberto. Restituto remains at large.
Police are still finding out who bashed Adelino's head with the rock.
Other areas in the province, however, remained peaceful, especially during the coverage of the Pacquiao-Marquez fight in Las Vegas.
Deputy provincial director for operations, Superintendent Erson Digal, told reporters that before the bout, they sent a radio message to all police chiefs to be on alert during the fight.
The CPPO's command journal showed that no crimes occurred from 8 a.m. to the late afternoon last Sunday.
A suicide incident at dawn and a shooting incident late at night were not counted because these did not happen as the fight took place.
However, a motorcycle driver was killed while six persons were injured in different road accidents in the province over the weekend.
Felix A. Yncierto Jr., 53, died while an ambulance was taking him to a hospital in Cebu City.
He was traveling along the highway of Barangay Baklayan, Boljoon town at 4:20 p.m. Sunday aboard his Yamaha 110 motorcycle when he collided with another motorcycle carrying three passengers.
The Motorstar 125 was driven by Roldan Corpuz of Barangay Simala, Sibonga while Richard Billones, 22, and Leny Marie Lirasan, 20, rode with him.
All four were taken to the Dalaguete District Hospital but doctors decided to transfer Yncierto to Cebu City for further treatment. He died along the way.
Two buses also collided in Sitio Tawig, Barangay Palanes, Alcantara Saturday afternoon.
Ceres bus 8061 driven by Narciso Acrus Gemarangan, 47, left Cebu City and was headed for Bato, Santander.
Ceres bus 8066, on the other hand, came from Bato, Santander and was on its way to Cebu City. It was driven by Ruben Tanoco Jerofo, 40.
An investigation conducted by Inspector Ranulfo Lastimoso, chief of the Alcantara Police Station, stated that Gemarangan's bus overtook a parked cargo truck loaded with rice and corn.
The truck had been parked at the side of the road, prompting Gemarangan to switch lanes.
As he encroached on the right lane, Jerofo's bus collided with his bus, causing major damages to both vehicles.
Only Jerofo suffered injuries and was taken to a hospital in Cebu City.
In Tuburan town, two minors were hit by speeding motorcycles.
Alyn Laguna, 5, was hit by a motorcycle driven by a certain Melchor in Barangay Cogon, Tuburan. Melchor reportedly continued to speed off even if Laguna had slumped to the ground.
Laguna was taken to the Tuburan District Hospital but was later released.
Police learned that the motorcycle was owned by a barangay captain.
Last Friday, Anna Rosa Villamor, 7, was walking along Sitio Languyon, Barangay Manga when a motorcycle driven by Kevin Canaresiyo hit her, wounding her in the head and body.
After a check-up at the Tuburan District Hospital, she was released. - Sun.Star