Pangilan-led Metro Pacific group's unsolicited proposal to construct a tollway connecting Silang and Tagaytay in Cavite to Nasugbu, Batangas will "very soon" get an original proponent status (OPS) from the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
Public Works Secretary Mark Villar told reporters on Saturday that the OPS for the Cavite-Tagaytay-Batangas Expressway (CTBEx) can be expected within July.
"Pinag-uusapan na namin 'yung CTBEx, maganda naman 'yung design and we can expect soon, very soon," Villar said.
The Public Works chief declined to give a specific date when the proposal will be approved by his department but said it would be "within the month."
"May due diligence lang kami... kailangan lang idaan sa tamang proseso. I think malapit na po," he said.
MPCALA Holdings Inc. submitted an unsolicited proposal to build CTBEx to the DPWH in July last year.
The project involves the construction of a 49-kilometer toll road connecting the Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CaLaEx) at the Silang East Interchange to Tagaytay City and Nasugbu, Batangas.
Once the proposal gets an OPS, it will be submitted to the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Board, chaired by President Rodrigo Duterte, for approval.
After securing NEDA Board's green light, it will be subjected to a Swiss challenge.
MPCALA Holdings is a subsidiary of Metro Pacific Tollways South Management Corp., the business unit of Metro Pacific Tollways Corp. (MPTC) for projects in southern Luzon.
MPTC is the infrastructure arm of tycoon Manny Pangilinan-led Metro Pacific Investments Corp. — MDM, GMA News