Innovation council approved 19 projects worth P115M — NEDA chief
The National Innovation Council (NIC) has approved 19 project proposals which will be funded through grants under the P200-million Innovation Fund, National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Secretary Arsenio Balisacan said Tuesday.
“Thus far, the Council has approved 19 project proposals amounting to P115 million under the Innovation Grants—majority of which sought to address the pre-commercialization and commercialization requirements of innovative products or services, the enhancement of innovation facilities and services, and the conduct of capacity-building activities,” Balisacan said during a Palace briefing, following the first NIC meeting under the Marcos administration.
The NIC, chaired by the President and the NEDA chief as vice-chairperson, is 25-member body tasked to develop the country’s innovation goals, priorities and long-term national strategy.
Meanwhile, Balisacan said the Innovation Fund is a revolving fund that aims to strengthen entrepreneurship and enterprises engaged in developing innovative solutions.
“Along with the National Innovation Agenda and Strategy Document, the establishment of the Innovation Fund signifies one of the other major outputs of the Council,” he said.
The NEDA issued a separate list of the 19 approved projects under the Innovation Fund grants
1. Project title: Project SciNing - Cultivating Ingenuity, Creativity and Awareness through Experiential Learning, Innovations and Promotions
Agency: DOST Technology Application and Promotions Institute
2. Project title: Establishment of PCHRD Health Research and Technology Innovation Hubs (HeaRTNovation Hubs): Expanding the TEKI in Health Program among Health Institutions
Agency: DOST Philippine Council for Health Research and Development
3. Project title: Grassroots Innovation for Inclusive Development (GRIND): Bringing Science and Technology (S&T) closer to the Margins
Agency: DOST Regional Office XI
4. Project title: Pilot Testing and Commercialization of Micro Impeller Rice Mill
Agency: DA Philippine Center for Postharvest Development and Mechanization
5. Project title: Vizcaya Optimization of Incubation Centers for Economic Sustainability (VOICES)
Agency: Provincial Government of Nueva Vizcaya
6. Project title: Water Collection System with Treatment Facility in Barangay Yabawon and Tan-Ag
Agency: Municipality of Banton, Romblon
7. Project title: Farmers Information and Technology Service Center (FITS) Innovation Program
Agency: Provincial Government of Camiguin
8. Project title: Naga City Startup Ecosystem Development Program
Agency: Naga City Startup Ecosystem Development Program
9. Project title: Industrial Designing and Finalization of Production Drawings for the Commercialization of BUHAWI
Agency: DOST Metals Industry R&D Center
10. Project title: Information System on Transport Operation in Puerto Princesa (ISTOPP)
Agency: City Government of Puerto Princesa
11. Project title: Establishment and Operationalization of Ilocos Norte MSME Incubation Center (IN-MIC)
Agency: Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte
12. Project title: Enhancing the Capacity of the Renewable and Sustainable Energy Technologies (ReSET) Center using Local Innovation for Smarter and More Resilient Community-based Renewable Energy Microgrids
Agency: DOST Regional Office XI
13. Project title: BARACO - Batangas Animal Movement Reporting Approach to Control Diseases
Agency: Provincial Government of Batangas
14. Project title: Improvement of the Single Row Push-type Plot Seeder with Mechatronic Seed Feeding Device for Corn (Zea Mays L.) Field Breeding Experiment
Agency: South Cotabato State College
15. Project title: Implementation of Innovation, Science and Technology for Accelerating Regional Technology-based Development (iSTART) Program with Indoor Farming Technology
Agency: DOST Regional Office VIII
16. Project title: Building Roadmaps for Resilient Philippine Creative Cities
Agency: DTI Competitiveness and Innovation Group
17. Project title: Exploring and Mainstreaming the Use of Natural Water Treatment Methods to Improve Drinking Water Quality
Agency: DILG Central Office
18. Project title: Cavite Product Innovation Program for MSMEs
Agency: Provincial Government of Cavite
19. Project title: i-LINK: Integration of Localized Maritime Information Systems for a Comprehensive Nautical Knowledge Base
Agency: University of the Philippines Diliman
“To be very clear, innovation plays a critical role in our pursuit for sustained and accelerated economic growth and development, as it serves as a catalyst for raising overall productivity and elevating the quality of our goods and services,” Balisacan said.
“Only through a collective national effort can we truly pursue and attain these goals for our future. The Marcos administration reaffirms its commitment and determination to turn these visions and plans into a reality, and build a strong economic foundation for the future generations of Filipinos," he added. — RSJ, GMA Integrated News