Autopsy results showed that 17-year-old Kian Delos Santos sustained three fatal gunshot wounds, and that the trajectory suggests that he was shot while lying face down.
According to a report by Ivan Mayrina in "24 Oras" on Tuesday, the autopsy conducted by the Public Attorney's Office's (PAO) forensic consultant Dr. Erwin Erfe indicated that the shooter had been standing over Delos Santos.
"Yung angle niya is very similar doon sa angle of approach nung tama niya sa likod. Kung titignan mo yung line of sight ng shooter, diretso yung line of sight. Most likely yung shooter ng tama niya sa likod, at saka yung shooter ng tama niya sa likod ng tenga ay iisa lang, and they are in the same position," Erfe said.
"Yung pinaka-plausible na scenario doon ay nakasubsob itong biktima at nakatayo yung bumaril. Specifically ang position niya ay nandoon sa paanan ng biktima," he added.
Erfe said that Delos Santos was shot at the left part of his back and behind his left ear. Both exit wounds were at the right side of his head. The third shot was by the left ear and had a straight angle.
The theory is that the third shot was to "finish off" the victim as he lay prone on the floor.
"Nung in-estimate namin yung trajectory niya, directly above 90 degrees yung trajectory niya. Meaning yung muzzle of the gun, yung baril ay directly above the head nung biktima. Ang position most likely, is different from the first gunman. Yung huli, at mukhang hindi na gumagalaw, that's the reason why 90 degrees na... mukhang yun na yung pang-finishing off," he said.
PAO plans to charge at least three policemen involved in the incident with murder.
It said that the results of the autopsy do not support the police's claim that Delos Santos resisted, prompting them to fire.
"Yung angulation ng first shot sa likod at saka second shot sa ulo, parehong pareho eh. Malabo ng ganung scenario [in a firefight]. Conclusion mo lang dun na parehong pareho, same line of sight, ibig sabihin hindi na siya gumagalaw," Erfe said.
PAO conducted the autopsy by the request of the Delos Santos family because the police has yet to release its own findings.
Caloocan police chief inspector Ilustre Mendoza said that it was possible that when the police fired the shots, their hands were positioned higher.
"Baka din siguro mas mataas ng konti sa katawan ng tao yung pagputok nila," he said.
Delos Santos, who police claimed was a newly-identified drug suspect in their area, was killed on the night of August 16 when he allegedly attempted to evade arrest as they approached him. Police gave chase but had to return fire when the boy allegedly drew a gun and fired at them.
Witnesses, however, claimed that the cops' version of events was contrived.
CCTV footage also showed that the police officers appeared to be restraining Delos Santos as they walked him toward the place where he was killed, contrary to police claims that he resisted arrest and ran off. —Jessica Bartolome/JST, GMA News