Immigration and police operatives have arrested five Chinese nationals suspected of being members of a kidnap for ransom syndicate preying on Chinese tourists in the Philippines.
The operation that led to the arrest also saw the rescue of a Chinese man allegedly held captive by the suspects as they waited for ransom money, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced Tuesday.
Persons identified as Wang Rui, Li Ming, Ju Wenping, Liu Ming, and Li Sanjiu fell to agents of the bureau's Fugitive Search Unit and of the Philippine National Police's Anti-Kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) who raided their house in Casimiro Village, Las Piñas last November 28.
The rescued man has positively identified the arrested suspects as his abductors, the BI reported, adding that its travel database shows the five Chinese nationals arrived in the country as tourists or temporary visitors.
They are under PNP-AKG custody as authorities prepare charges against them.
Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente was quoted in the BI statement as saying the PNP-AKG requested joint operations against alleged Chinese kidnappers victimizing their fellow Chinese last year.
"While the victims have been released, they reported that the perpetrators remain in their hideout with more victims," Morente said.
The two fugitives were not found during last week's raid, the BI said. — MDM, GMA News