In just one week, the number of frontliners who have tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from Kanlungan Palma and the University of the Philippines Health Service (UPHS) has climbed to 16.
Chancellor Fidel Nemenzo on Friday announced two new COVID-19 cases after its seven first cases were announced on Tuesday while seven more were reported on Thursday.
"Until last week, we thought that we were steps ahead of the COVID-19 threat. But some of our social and cultural behavior and everyday practices have led to lapses in pandemic protocols, making us vulnerable to the threat posed by the virus," Nemenzo said in a statement.
The chancellor said that the university has implemented guidelines and mechanisms to increase its preparedness in the past months while the campus has been closed to the public.
"This latest spread in UP Diliman serves as a reminder to everyone that we cannot let our guard down," he added.
Though Nemenzo said that this was a "pressing issue" he assured the community that UP Diliman is implementing stricter control measures to contain the spread.
"Having said this, UP Diliman’s workplaces generally remain safe. We carry on working from home and reporting for work only when necessary," Nemenzo said.
"Let us continue to wear our face masks, practice physical distancing, and observe hand hygiene. At this point, I cannot emphasize enough that these are still the public health practices that have proved to be effective in protecting us," he added.
According to Nemenzo, contact tracing is on-going while staff members are being tested.
"Lastly, I say this with urgency: we cannot allow complacency to set in. Let us stay alert and safe," he said. —Joahna Lei Casilao/LDF, GMA News