Some 13 U-turn slots along EDSA -- the Philippines' busiest highway -- are set to be closed to make way for the designated bus lane, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said Sunday.
According to MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago, the 13 U-turn slots are located in four cities -- Caloocan, Quezon, Makati, and Pasay.
Below are the planned alternate routes:
- General Tinio U-turn Slot
- De Jesus Street/8th street left-turning
- General Malvar U-turn slot
All affected vehicles must take a turn at Monumento Circle (northbound towards southbound) and Balintawak Cloverleaf (southbound towards northbound) to destination.
Vehicles coming from NLEX (North of Luzon) towards or taking a left at A. De Jesus/8th Street must go straight or take A. Bonifacio Avenue, then right at C3/Sgt. Rivera to destination.
- Balintawak Market U-turn slot in front of BPI bank
- Kaingin Road U-turn slot in front of Nissan
- Congressional LRT Station U-turn slot in front of PANORAMA
- Corregidor intersection / Bansalangin U-turn slots
- U-turn slots in front of Quezon City Academy
- North Avenue U-turn slots before MRT North Avenue Station
All affected vehicles must take a U-turn at Balintawak Cloverleaf (northbound towards southbound) and Quezon Avenue (southbound towards northbound) to destination.
- Santolan/Boni Serrano U-turn slot in front of Camp Crame
All affected vehicles along EDSA and coming from White Plains must take a U-turn using the service road/intersection under Santolan flyover (northbound towards southbound) to destination.
- Buendia U-turn slot under the Kalayaan Flyover
All affected vehicles coming from Guadalupe (southbound to northbound) using Buendia U-turn slot must take a U-turn using the service road/intersection of EDSA/Ayala Avenue to destination
- P.Celle U-turn slots
- U-turn slot before Roxas Boulevard near Heritage Hotel
All affected vehicles coming from FB Harrison (northbound to southbound) must take the U-turn slot under the Magallanes flyover and vehicles coming from southbound to northbound must take the signalized intersection or MOA Circle.
To recall, Pialago in May said EDSA will initially be converted as a "connecting road," along with changes designating lanes solely for bikes and buses. — DVM/KG, GMA News