Filtered By: News
News

Alert level system in NCR a ‘successful experiment’ so far — Abalos


Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairperson Benhur Abalos on Wednesday hailed the pilot implementation of an alert level system to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the National Capital Region (NCR).

“It’s been a successful experiment on its own. It’s a successful pilot because the people are disciplined, there is still economic activity, and we’ve seen that the numbers are really going down,” Abalos said in a mix of English and Filipino during the Kapihan sa Manila Bay online media forum. 

“Right now, I would say the numbers are very promising in terms of reproduction rate, active cases, although I have no information yet about the hospital care utilization.”

Metro Manila was placed under Alert Level 4 starting September 16. The pilot implementation is expected to run until September 30.

Based on the government's new guidelines, areas under Alert Level 4 — the second highest alert level in the new scheme — are those with COVID-19 case counts that are high or increasing while total beds and ICU beds are at high utilization rate.

Under Alert Level 4, there will be certain restrictions for establishments and activities that would fall under the so-called 3Cs, which refer to closed spaces, crowded spaces, and activities that promote close contact.

Certain indoor activities will be allowed for the fully vaccinated. Granular lockdowns will also be implemented. Curfew is also shorter, from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

Abalos earlier said the NCR’s alert level would be assessed after the first week of implementation. — Virgil Lopez/RSJ, GMA News