advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

RP consulate in HK swamped with protests over hostage crisis


Protests over the hostage crisis in Manila on Monday swamped the Philippine consulate-general in Hong Kong, consul general Claro Cristobal said Tuesday. In a radio interview, Cristobal said the consulate general offices had also received calls since Monday night, demanding justice for the victims. "Simula kagabi lahat na paraan ng communication, tumatanggap ng protesta sa iba't ibang sektor ng komunidad ng Hong Kong ... Humihiling sila na dapat ang ating bansa ang managot sa mga gastusin at lahat at lalo na ng pamilyang nariyan," he said in an interview on dzBB radio. (Since Monday night, we have received all forms of communication and protests from various sectors of the Hong Kong community. They want our country to pay for the expenses of the victims' families still in Manila.) He said even the email accounts of Philippine tourism representatives were swamped with messages from persons irate over what happened Monday. At least 10 people, including hostage-taker dismissed Senior Inspector Rolando Mendoza, were killed during the 11-hour hostage crisis. Cristobal said he had answered the calls by stressing that the Philippines was also saddened by the incident. "Ako umaasa tayo bilang isang bayan magkaisa ng pagpaparamdam sa kanila na tayo kasama nila sa kalungkutan. Tayo ay di natuwa at we have solidarity in their hour of sadness, madama nila," he said. (I hope we as a nation can make them feel we are one with them in their hour of sorrow. We are not glad with what happened and we must make them feel our solidarity.) He also said he spoke with some of the picketers and told them of the Philippines' "solidarity" with them in their grief. Meanwhile, Cirstobal also said there have been no threats so far against Filipinos in Hong Kong. –VVP, GMANews.TV
LOADING CONTENT