Filtered By: News
In light of fears that the foreign aid for Yolanda victims may be misused, Malacañang announced that President Benigno Aquino III has ordered the creation of a website that will track all donations to the Philippines.
"In a week’s time [it will be published], hinahanda na po nila, mai-lo-launch na po yun. Ang gusto po kasi ng Pangulo makita kung magkano yung dumaan sa gobyerno mismo," deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said during a press briefing on Friday.
"Kasi po marami hong nagtatanong sa amin [about the] billions [of] foreign aid. Totoo po yun but that is ... distributed in different kinds. Hindi naman po yan lahat cash. Yung iba po medical teams ... donations in kind, which also go through other private aid agencies and should also be accounted for like our processes in government," she added.
She explained that Aquino wants the website to indicate the accountable persons or agencies for certain donations and how the aid will be utilized.
"The President was categorical, he wants these details up. A team is already working on that as we speak," she said.
In the meantime, she said the Department of Foreign Affairs has been updating the matrix of the international assistance given or will be given to the country.
"We have been updating this. It’s available on the Official Gazette website and we invite everybody to look at it, to see the—especially to focus on the type of assistance that is being given," she said.
According to the matrix updated as of November 14, at least five international organizations and 35 countries have pledged their help to the Philippines.
But Valte said no cash donation has so far been received, based on Internal Revenue Kim Henares' inquiry with the Bureau of Treasury. — Kimberly Jane Tan/RSJ, GMA News