Filtered By: News
After saying it doesn't regret implementing the Disbursement Acceleration Program, Malacañang yesterday went a step further in clearing itself of any wrongdoing even after the Supreme Court declared certain acts under the DAP unconstitutional.
Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio “Sonny” Coloma Jr. said the executive branch would issue no apoloigy despite the Supreme Court ruling on its DAP releases.
"Siyempre ‘pag sinabing magso-sorry ka may ginawa kang kasalanan. Wala po kaming ginawang kasalanan hinggil dito," Coloma told reporters on Thursday afternoon.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday announced that it found the following actions of the executive under the DAP unconstitutional:
- the withdrawal of unobligated allotments from the implementing agencies, and the declaration of the withdrawn unobligated allotments and unreleased appropriations as savings prior to the end of the fiscal year and without complying with the statutory definition of savings contained in the General Appropriations Act;
- the cross-border transfers of the savings of the executive to augment the appropriations of other offices outside the executive; and
- the funding of projects, activities and programs that were not covered by any appropriation in the GAA.
Coloma said President Benigno Aquino III's government "exercised good faith and due diligence" in implementing the DAP.
"We affirm that in implementing the DAP, the executive branch exercised good faith and due diligence, in accordance with existing laws and pertinent auditing rules and procedures. We believe we have been abiding by and complying with such lawful processes," Coloma said.
Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales said her office would investigate whether any crime or offense had been committed by involved public officials using DAP funds.
When asked if the Palace will cooperate with the Ombudsman's DAP probe, Coloma said the executive "will comply with lawful and legal processes."