advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

It's not going to happen, Recto says of PNoy's second term suggestion


Senate President Pro-Tempore Ralph Recto on Sunday rejected President Benigno Aquino III's suggestion to allow chief executives to step down at the end of their term but run for election again after six years.
 
"It's not going to happen. Six years is enough for a president. I prefer two or four-year terms but that's the least of our worries," Recto told GMA News Online in a text message.
 
In a press interview during his state visit in Japan last week, Aquino said the Philippines should consider the possibility of non-consecutive terms for its presidents
 
“Certain countries, like the South American countries, also went through a similar period [of Martial Law]. In their constitutions, a sitting president has to step down, but can re-run after the intervention of a different administration. Perhaps that is something that the Philippines can consider,” Aquino said. 
 
Aquino made the comment amid the growing support in the legislative chamber to amend certain provisions of the Constitution. 
 
Recto, who filed the Senate counterpart of the Resolution of Both Houses No. 1 recently approved on second reading at the House of Representatives, said: "At this point, I only support Cha-cha for economic provisions." 
 
Senator Vicente "Tito" Sotto III also nixed Aquino's suggestion, saying he is "not in favor of tinkering with the Constitution." 
 
Senator Antonio Trillanes IV meanwhile was in agreement with President Aquino, saying the term limit prescribed by the Constitution "hinders progress and development."
 
"The single-term presidency is unusual in democracies as it takes away political accountability. It also hinders progress and development since the continuity of policies is almost impossible to achieve," he said.
 
"I agree that some political and economic provisions of our Constitution should be amended," Trillanes added. 
 
Section 4, Article VII of the 1987 Constitution prohibits the reelection of an incumbent president and limits his or her term to six years. 

Ousted President Joseph Ejercito Estrada ran for president in 2010 after the Commission on Elections decided that he was not covered by the ban since he was not an incumbent president and was not running for a second term.

"Estrada no longer holds a public office, more importantly, he is no longer the President and wields none of the vast powers of this position… Because of this prevailing status, a simple application of the rule will lead any reasonable and logical person to conclude that the prohibition against the reelection of the President does not apply to Estrada," it said— JDS, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT