The Commission on Elections welcomed the signing of the bill postponing the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan polls.
In an interview with GMA News Online, Comelec chair Andres Bautista said the signing of the bill was expected, given the earlier pronouncements by President Rodrigo Duterte on the matter.
"The President had previously committed... He had provided his position that he was for the extension of the [postponement of] barangay and SK elections," he said.
He added: "This was not unexpected, but we are pleased that this has happened so we can prepare for the registration of voters."
Bautista added that they will come up a new timetable of preparations for the elections, which the newly-signed law has reset to October 23, 2017.
In a separate statement, the poll body said the voter registration will resume in November.
Comelec expects an additional three million voters to register for the barangay elections, and two million voters for SK polls.
Meanwhile, it noted that the funds intended for the 2016 barangay and SK polls "are largely intact and will be used in 2017."
The 411,000 ballots that have been printed "may be reused" by editing the dates in them, it added. — RSJ, GMA News