The Department of National Defense on Monday confirmed that China has offered weapons to the country but could not give details on what firearms were being peddled and by what firm.
“May offer lang sila," said Undersecretary Raymundo Elefante, the DND undersecretary for finance, munitions, installations, and material.
Asked what kinds of guns were being offered, he said, "That’s to be determined pa or something like that. Hindi ko masabi kung anong specific."
He also cannot say which company will supply the firearms.
“Marami kasi ‘yan e, so iyon ang inaano namin, iyong best offer,” Elefante said.
He said there was no definite date on when the firearms will be purchased.
“Wala pa kasi mag-uusap pa dahil sabi ko nga sa ‘yo titingnan natin kung ano ang mas magagamit natin,” Elefante said.
He added there is no final details how many firearms will be bought and how much would it cost.
“I-ispread out nila ‘yan to a certain a level like 25 years to pay,” Elefante said.
He said there was no schedule on when the details would be finalized.
“Wala pang timetable unless na makapunta kami doon,” Elefante said.
There's still no date on when officials would go to China.
In a speech, Duterte said Sunday that the firearms were ready to be shipped.
However, the President did not immediately disclose specifics of the firearms deal.
Duterte said he had already ordered Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana to go to China to get the firearms.
Apart from China, Duterte said the government was also considering getting firearms from Russia. —Amita Legaspi/NB, GMA News