Filtered By: News
News

Robredo not keen on apologizing over video message –spokesperson


Vice President Leni Robredo will not apologize over the recorded speech where she revealed alleged irregularities in the Duterte administration’s war against drugs, her spokesperson said Monday.

"Wala, wala kaming nakikitang rason para humingi ng tawad," said Georgina Hernandez, in response to a demand for public apology from the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC).

Hernandez said what Robredo did in the video was to give "voice" to poor families affected by the administration's violent anti-illegal drug war, which has been blamed for the killing of close to 8,000 people, mostly drug suspects.

"Kung mayroon man siyang ginagawa dito ay unti-unting nagbibigay siya ng lakas ng loob para sa mga pamilyang nawawalan ng loob at hindi nila alam kung makakakuha sila ng hustisya sa mga nangyayari sa kanilang buhay," Hernandez said.

"Itong lahat [ay] bahagi ng mandato ng Pangalawang Pangulo, na ilabas ang katotohanan at ipakita sa mga tao na natatakot na sila po ay may masasandalan kay VP Leni," she added.

The VACC on Monday morning lashed out at Robredo for her recorded speech that exposed “irregularities” in the administration’s anti-drug war. The video was played at a side session organized in line with the UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs annual meeting last week. 

The anti-crime group said Robredo was "recklessly destroying the image of her own country with unverified charges."

Hernandez, in turn, reiterated that the video was based on accounts relayed to their office by representatives of urban poor communities affected by the drug war, or to Robredo herself when she makes her weekly visits to communities.

She did not, however, provide an estimate of how many reports the Office of the Vice President has received.

She said this prompted Robredo to write to Interior Sec. Ismael Sueno, requesting for official copies of several documents about the anti-drug campaign. PNP Chief Ronald dela Rosa was furnished a copy.

The OVP released the letter—dated January 24—on Monday afternoon, hours after Dela Rosa said he never received any.

Sueno and Dela Rosa’s respective offices received the letter on January 30. The OVP said they have yet to respond. —KBK, GMA News