advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

Death toll in Marawi rises to 429 – AFP


The death toll in the protracted conflict in Marawi City between government security forces and the Maute terrorist group has risen to 429, the spokesman for the Armed Forces of the Philippines said Friday.

In a statement, Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said that based on the records of Joint Task Force Marawi as of June 29, the number of civilians killed by the terrorists reached 44, while 1713 were rescued by troops.

The number of terrorists killed in the clashes is now at 303, while the casualties on the government side is at 82.

Government forces have so far recovered a total of 382 firearms.

Padilla said that military offensive operations continue as parts of the four remaining barangays in Marawi City remain "problematic." Clearing operations are ongoing.

He added that interagency meetings and consultations, where the rehabilitation, reconstruction, and rebuilding of Marawi City are discussed, have begun.

Padilla said the focus of their operations in Marawi remains on clearing the remaining armed terrorists in the war-torn city, rescuing trapped residents and hostages, and recovering the bodies of slain civilians and victims.

The conflict in Marawi started on May 23, when government troops - acting on a tip that Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon was in the area - conducted an operation to try and apprehend him. The government security forces were caught off guard when Maute members attacked them.

The operation to rid the city of the local terror group has been ongoing since then. — Jessica Bartolome/RSJ/KVD, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT