Senator Antonio Trillanes IV on Thursday night said he is not worried to face a possible ethics case as a result of his verbal tussle with Senator Richard Gordon.
“Sa 'kin, go ahead. Hindi ako matatakot diyan. Kay Duterte nga hindi ako natatakot, sa kanya pa? Sa ethics case pa? Hindi ba?” Trillanes, who previously called President Rodrigo Duterte a "mass murderer," told reporters in an interview.
“Sayang oras niya diyan. Tatakutin niya ako, gawin na lang niya. Tingnan na lang natin kung ano ang kalalabasan,” he said.
He said Gordon’s ethics complaint will not get the support of their colleagues.
“Swerte na siya kung makakuha siya ng tatlo o apat na pipirma diyan. Kung naniniwala siya na majority pipirma, then he has lost touch doon sa pulso ng mga senador,” he said.
“In fact, maraming disgruntled na with the way he is handling the case,” Trillanes added.
Trillanes maintains he did nothing improper nor unethical during the Senate blue ribbon committee hearing on the smuggling of the P6.4-billion shabu shipment, other than hurt Gordon’s ego.
Trillanes got into a heated argument with Gordon, who chairs the committee, after he accused the latter of turning the panel into a “committee de asbwelto.”
Trillanes wanted to invite both President Rodrigo Duterte’s son, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, and son-in-law, lawyer Manases Carpio, after they were mentioned to be behind the so-called Davao Group. Carpio is the husband of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte.
Trillanes said the committee should not treat Paolo and Carpio as “sacred cows.”
“Pwede kasing nagpapapogi [si Gordon] or may hinihingi or natatakot or talagang nakikinabang. Marami-raming reasons. I won’t speculate. Bahala na 'yung taongbayan kung ano 'yung totoo doon,” Trillanes said.
Gordon on Thursday said he will only invite Paolo and Carpio if there is direct evidence implicating them.
“The moment he says, ‘Ako nakausap ko si Paulo at sinabi ko sa kanya tulungan mo ako’ at sinabi niya ‘Tutulunga kita, bibigyan kita ng pera.’ Swak na 'yun. Ito sinabi lang, mga tao ito ni Paolo, Davao Group 'yan,” Gordon said.
“Hindi tayo nag-co-convict ng tao without evidence,” he added.
He shrugged off criticisms on how he is handling the blue ribbon committee investigation of the P6.4-billion shabu shipment smuggled in from China.
Gordon said he does not react to criticism “especially if they are unfounded.”
“Bakit, sino ba kinakatigan ko? Bakit, do I owe Duterte anything? Do I owe anybody there anything?” Gordon told reporters.
“Please do not judge. Look at my record, I’ve gone against presidents of the Philippines,” he added.
Regarding the ethics complaint he plans to file against Trillanes, Gordon said he will pursue it.
"He has done that consistently. I already forgave him the first time. He even came to my office and apologized then he did it to Mr. Zubiri. Then he was trying to do it to Cayetano, he was trying to turn off the microphone," Gordon said.
“I’m sorry hindi lahat ng araw sa’yo,” the senator said. —KG/KVD, GMA News