Filtered By: News
News

Group launches signature drive urging Duterte to sign bank waiver


Cause-oriented group Tindig Pilipinas on Saturday launched a signature drive urging President Rodrigo Duterte to sign a bank secrecy waiver to end doubts on his supposed unexplained wealth.

"We, the Filipino people, call on President Duterte to sign the waiver on the secrecy of bank deposits. We deserve a transparent and accountable leader," the group said in its petition.

The group held a rally at the University of the Philippines in Quezon City, which started in the afternoon and attended by members of the opposition including Senator Antonio Trillanes IV.

In his speech at the gathering dubbed "Pirma Hindi Porma," Trillanes announced a few details of the supposed bank deposits of the President.

He said that in one bank account, amounts of P50 million were deposited at least 13 times.

"'Pag tinotal mo, 'yon pa lang P700 million, aabot na," the senator said.

He added that in another bank account, he discovered at least 20 deposits of P40 million to P50 million each.

He also claimed that Duterte bought in just one day P80 million worth of insurance for his four children.

"Ang total na laman na pumasok sa account ay mahigit P2 billion," Trillanes said.

Duterte had repeatedly denied that he has P2-billion in bank accounts.

In a speech in Marawi City earlier this month, the President said his savings will not exceed P40 million.

In its petition, Tindig Pilipinas cited the Office of the Ombudsman's claim that it has copies of the supposed bank accounts obtained from the Anti-Money Laundering Council.

The Office of the Ombudsman said that it had started an investigation into the wealth of Duterte and his family based on the complaint of Trillanes.

Among the personalities who attended Tindig Pilipinas' gathering was former Social Welfare secretary Corazon "Dinky" Soliman.

Karina Constantino David, former chairperson of the Civil Service Commission, was also at the event.

David read a statement of detained Senator Leila de Lima, who called Duterte a "coward."

Malacañang has yet to issue a statement on the signature drive.  —ALG, GMA News