President Rodrigo Duterte would not hesitate to deploy the Marines and "blow up" the controversial Boracay West Cove resort which was ordered closed for permit violations, Malacañang said on Thursday.
"The last that I heard is that the local government may even ask the President for assistance to call in the Marines if need be," presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said at a press briefing.
"So when I heard that report, I told them, send the letter because I’m sure the President will not hesitate to send in the Marines and even use dynamites to blow up that illegal structure there," he added.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has canceled the Forest Land Use Agreement for Tourism Purposes (FLAg-T) secured by the Boracay Island West Cove Management Philippines, Inc. (BIWCMPI) covering 998 square meters in Sitio Diniwid in Barangay Balabag, Malay, Aklan.
The DENR, among others, cited the resort's permanent structures outside the approved FLAgT Area, delayed submission of site management plan and annual report for 2010 containing the development activities within the FLAgT areas, failure to submit the required clearance from the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP).
Boracay West Cove owner Crisostomo Aquino, however, filed an appeal before the Office of the President.
"The decision that they are in breach of the environment laws as far as I know is immediately executory. And I think the DILG [Department of the Interior and Local Government] and DENR have said that they will demolish West Cove," Roque said.
Last month, Aquino was prompted to demolish the resort's 120-square meter viewing deck, which stands on three natural rock formations, after he was told by Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu that the structure was not covered by the permit secured by the resort.
The DENR had cracked down on commercial establishments in Boracay after Duterte accused businesses of turning the world-famous island into a cesspool.
Duterte earlier said that he will shut down the island if its sewage problem would remain unresolved in six months.
Boracay hosted 2.1 million visitors last year. —NB, GMA News