Philippine National Police chief Director General Oscar Albayalde on Wednesday said Ozamiz City Councilor Ricardo "Ardot" Parojinog has requested the Department of Justice to transfer his case from the PNP to the National Bureau of Investigation.
The country's top cop said that Parojinog, who was arrested for illegal entry by the Taiwan police last month, remains to be under the custody of Taiwan prosecutors.
"As of this time, lumalabas na parang I think he wrote a letter that he wanted his case to be transferred to the NBI, parang 'yun lang ang nakuha naming information," Albayalde said during a press briefing in Camp Crame.
"But as of this time, walang sagot naman 'yung PNP diyan until now kami pa rin ang merong communication sa Taiwan police. And until now, hindi pa rin naman siya puwedeng bisitahin dahil nando;n siya, wala kasi siya sa custody ng Taiwan police, nasa custody siya ng prosecutor nila , that's why yung sinabing no visitors allowed, not even the Taiwan police are authorized to visit him," he added.
Albayalde said the decision to transfer Parojinog's case will now depend on the DOJ.
"It depends now on the DOJ kung talagang 'yun ang magiging kautusan ng DOJ, we will respect the decision of DOJ," he said.
Councilor Parojinog was not in his house when police conducted a raid in July last year that resulted to the deaths of his brother, Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr., and 15 others.
Policemen, however, seized shabu and drug paraphernalia, a shotgun, three rocket propelled-grenade launchers, two hand grenades, and M79 ammunition from the councilor's house.
The councilor went into hiding since then amid the lookout order of the Bureau of Immigration.
Earlier this month, authorities recovered various high-powered firearms, including two anti-tank rockets, during a raid on Parojinog's closed business properties.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier offered a P5-million bounty for Ricardo's capture. — RSJ, GMA News