Filtered By: News
News
ALMOST 16,000 CASES

DOH sends P40-M help as dengue reaches peak season


The number of dengue cases in the country in the first seven months of the year has reached more than 16,000, with 35 deaths just in the first week of July, prompting the Department of Health to extend P40 million worth of assistance.

In a report on 24 Oras, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said the assistance came in the form of "dengue commodities" that were sent to six provinces and cities in Western Visayas.

Iloilo province and Balete town in Aklan — both in Western Visayas — have earlier been placed under a state of calamity due to the dengue outbreak. The region is the hardest hit by dengue, followed by Calabarzon, Central Visayas, Socksargen and Northern Mindanao.

From June 30 to July 6, more than 5,000 additional dengue cases were added, bringing the national total since January to 115,986 — more than double the same period last year.

During the same period - June 30 to July 6 — 35 patients died due to dengue.

"It is prudent to expect that it will increase before it will decrease. Yung ulan kasi ngayon panaka naka pa lang darating pa yan ng August and September at regular pattern natin, simulang bumaba 'yan October pa. So July, August, ito talaga ang peak," said Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo.

The official said while not new in the country, the dengue Strain 3 has once again become the dominant strain this year.

While dengue cases are on the rise, measles cases are going down, the same 24 Oras report said.

Last month, only 200 to 300 measles were reocrded, much lower than the 2,000 cases recorded every week in December and January. — MDM, GMA News

Tags: dengue