The Department of Health has backtracked on its latest figures on confirmed cases of COVID-19, saying that there are only nine new cases, bringing the total to 33.
The agency earlier in the day announced 11 new confirmed cases, bringing the total to 35.
DOH Assistant Secretary Dr. Maria Rosario S. Vergeire said the two other cases involved repeat tests bearing positive samples.
“Upon verification, DOH reported that two of the new positive samples received by the Epidemiology Bureau are repeat tests on samples taken from patients 7 and 8,” she explained.
Vergeire said they decided to release an updated tally on the COVID-19 cases in the country after a private organization released the figure ahead of the DOH media conference.
“We’d like to apologize for that… There was this post coming from the health emergency meeting… wherein they initially reported the 35 cases,” she said. “It was supposed to be DOH initially issuing out these kinds of numbers.”
Vergeire said the 13 new cases, composed of the nine new cases recorded on Tuesday and four announced by President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night, are admitted at the following hospitals:
- Dr. Jose N. Rodriguez Memorial Hospital for Patient 21 (58-year-old female)
- Cardinal Santos Medical Center for Patient 22 (51-year-old female)
- San Lazaro Hospital for Patient 23 (30-year-old female)
- St. Luke's Medical Center - Quezon City for Patient 24 (52-year-old male)
- New Clark City quarantine facility for Patients 25 (31-year-old male) and 26 (34-year-old male), who are both repatriates from the coronavirus-hit Diamond Princess cruise ship
- The Medical City for Patients 27 to 33
Patient 27 is a 42-year-old female with no travel history.
Patient 28 is a 69-year-old male with a history of exposure to a confirmed COVID-19 case.
Patient 29 is an 82-year-old female who also has a history of contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case.
Patient 30 is a 69-year-old female who was also exposed to a confirmed COVID-19 case.
Patient 31 is a 28-year-old female, Patient 32 is a 64-year-old male, and Patient 33 is a 60-year-old male. All three patients had no known travel history.
Patients 21 to 33 are all Filipinos, according to data released by the DOH.
The health official added that out of the 13 new cases, patients 21 to 24 are currently stable, patients 25 and 26 are asymptomatic, while the status of patients 27 to 33 are yet to be verified by the DOH.
“The Epidemiology Bureau is conducting comprehensive contact tracing activities for all cases,” Vergeire added. —JST/BM, GMA News