There is enough supply of food to last until the end of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) as logistical issues have already been addressed, Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez assured the public Monday.
"Tuloy tuloy 'yung production, so we are covered until after, kahit lagpas na ang quarantine. Kumbaga normal operation sa pag-produce ng pagkain, so hindi magkakaubusan 'yan at na-address na itong mga issue ng paggalaw ng cargo," Lopez said in an interview on Dobol B sa News TV.
His remarks came after the Philippine Association of Meat Processors Inc. (PAMPI) last week warned of a possible "severe shortage" of canned goods by next month, as inventories could only last for two weeks.
PAMPI cited logistical issues given the implementation of the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine from 12:00 a.m. on March 17 until April 12, 2020, restricting travel within the region in efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19.
"May mga experience or reports sa amin last week na okay, free cargo movement na nga, pero 'yung sa probinsya locked down," said Lopez.
"Itong cargo movements unhampered is a nationwide policy na dapat sundin ng lahat ng mga LGUs, 'wag nila pipigilan," he added.
Lopez said local government units have since re-opened their ports to allow the movement of cargoes -- especially raw materials for food products -- to Metro Manila.
"Just this morning, nag-report 'yung iba na in-open nila 'yung mga ports nila, kasi 'yung cargo hindi naman magdadala ng sakit kaya dapat i-open 'yan para hindi magkaroon ng shortage," he elaborated.—AOL, GMA News