advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

DSWD, DBM chiefs to go on self-quarantine after congressman tested positive for COVID-19


Budget Secretary Wendel Avisado and Social Welfare Secretary Rolando Bautista said Wednesday said they would go into self-quarantine since they attended a meeting with a lawmaker who tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Avisado and Bautista took part in the meeting on March 21 in Malacañang where officials from the Executive department and Congress discussed the special powers to be granted to President Rodrigo Duterte to address the threat of COVID-19.

Also present was ACT-CIS party-list Representative Eric Go Yap, who announced on Wednesday that he had contracted the deadly virus.

In a separate statement, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo urged those who came in contact with Yap to go on quarantine.

"We urge those who were in physical contact with him during the last two weeks to undergo the 14 day self-quarantine protocol for their protection," he said.

Panelo added the Palace is hoping Yap will be well soon.

In a text message, Avisado said, “Nakasama namin siya although wala naman kaming direct contact but just the same mag-another round na naman po ako ng self-quarantine po as a precautionary measure po. 

Bautista said he would have wanted to report for work on Thursday but he decided to take precautions instead.

“I will go for self-quarantine ng ilang araw. Wala naman po ako nararamdaman and I feel very good. Gusto ko pumasok at magtrabaho bukas, however, avoiding the spread of COVID-19 is my primary goal,” he said.

Avisado previously discontinued his self-quarantine after learning that Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III tested negative for COVID-19.

Dominguez, who came in contact with Avisado in a meeting early this month, and other top government officials had self-quarantined since they were in a toll road event that was attended by a person who tested positive for the virus. —LDF, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT