Due to the lingering COVID-19 threat, the resumption of classes in August would not necessarily require teachers and students to report back to school every day, Education Undersecretary Annalyn Sevilla said.
Sevilla said that the Department of Education had been drafting a strategy to combine distance learning with the formal education scheme since the lockdown took effect in March. Such interactions between individuals would remain inadvisable pending the availability of a COVID-19 vaccine.
“When we say opening of the school, it does not mean that we will be asking the teachers and students to physically report to the school,” Sevilla said in a DZBB interview.
“We are preparing modules para minimum lang ang face-to-face interaction. ‘Yung pag move ng opening from June to August, this will give us more time to train our personnel and the students for distance learning, so the school opening could happen without them going out of their houses,” Sevilla added.
Sevilla said that distance learning did not mean exclusively using online platforms since teachers would also be deployed to the houses of the students from time-to-time for a semblance of formal education.
Those teachers aged 60 and above who were vulnerable to COVID-19, on the other hand, would be instead required to report to the schools to work on improving modules on distance learning.
“Hindi po compulsory na ang learning thru online. Hindi po blanket ang delivery mode ng learning,” Sevilla said.
“Dedepende po ito sa COVID-19 situation ng isang lugar,” she added.
The Philippines has 8,488 confirmed COVID-19 cases thus far. Of this number, 1,043 have recovered while 568 others have died.
Luzon has been under an enhanced community quarantine due to the COVID-19 threat since March 16. — DVM, GMA News