The Department of Education on Monday said it is possible that schools converted to quarantine facilities for COVID-19 will no longer be used for such a purpose by the end of June.
“As much as possible at the end of the month or middle, ‘di na natin sila pinapahintulutan kasi kailangan iprepara ang mga paaralan,” Education Undersecretary Nepomuceno Malaluan said in a virtual press briefing.
“[Kailangan] ‘yong pag-disinfect ng mga paaralan natin para sa ganoon kung sakaling magbago ang sitwasyon, handa na ang mga paaralan,” he added.
Education Undersecretary Tonisito Umali said DepEd will partner with various organizations and local government units on the disinfecting of the schools.
Meanwhile, in case the COVID-19 crisis eases in July, Nepomuceno said schools might operate with skeletal force by then as long as minimum health standards are observed.
“Pagdating sa panahon na let’s say July, let’s say magbago ang sitwasyon, baka i-allow ‘yong iba pero hindi full force po, may ibang pupunta on a skeletal force pero kailangan i-observe nila ang minimum health standards natin katulad ng pagsusuot ng face mask at mga kits na gagamitin nila,” he said.
In April, President Rodrigo Duterte said the DepEd had approved the use of 660 schools as quarantine or isolation sites for COVID-19 patients.
So far, the country has recorded a total of 18,638 cases of COVID-19, including 960 fatalities and 3,979 recoveries. — DVM, GMA News