So far, there is no need to file charges against San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora following the alleged disregard of his convoy on the border and health protocols in Baguio City, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said Wednesday.
"There is no need so far unless the current investigation on the PNP escorts would implicate Mayor Zamora that he intentionally ordered not to stop at the checkpoint," Año said in a message sent to reporters.
"So far, there is no issue on governance or abuse of authority. There was miscommunication and arrogance on the part of PNP escorts," he added.
Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong earlier said that the entourage of Zamora violated health security protocols after "disregarding" a checkpoint in the area. He said Zamora's convoy violated the regulatory mechanism of quarantine check and triage examination at the Naguilian facility.
Zamora's camp also allegedly failed to present a medical health clearance when asked at the Baguio Country Club.
Magalong said that Zamora has since apologized over the incident, saying he was asleep when the incident happened.
Año also said he talked to Magalong and the latter told him that he will not file charges against Zamora.
Five San Juan City police officers have been relieved from their posts due to the incident.
The matter is being investigated by the PNP. — RSJ, GMA News