Malacañang on Thursday said the surge in COVID-19 cases “does not inspire” the further easing of restrictions.
The Philippines has so far reported 24,175 cases and 1,036 deaths. Experts from the University of the Philippines have projected the number of cases may reach the 40,000 mark by June 30, including 16,500 to 20,500 in Metro Manila alone.
“It does not inspire relaxation. But the announcement as I said is subject to appeal and will be announced by the President,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a televised briefing.
President Rodrigo Duterte will announce on June 15 his decision whether to maintain, further relax or reimpose lifted community quarantine measures in the country.
“Ayaw kong pangunahan ang ating Presidente, pero ang datos po hindi nagsisinungaling. So kung anuman po ang mga desisyon na iaanunsiyo ng Presidente for Metro Manila and Cebu City in particular, iyan po ay nakabase po sa siyensya,” Roque said.
Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases met on Wednesday had already crafted recommendations to the President on the fate of the movement restrictions.
Duterte earlier placed the Cordillera Administrative Region, Regions I (except Pangasinan), IV-B, V, VI, VIII, IX (except Zamboanga City), X, XI (except Davao City) and XII, CARAGA, and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao under modified general community quarantine from June 1 to 15.
The rest of the country, including Metro Manila, is under general community quarantine. — BM, GMA News