The government has yet to decide whether to allow the entry of more foreigners amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Malacañang said Thursday.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the matter is still being studied by a technical working group created by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases, the country’s policy-making body on COVID-19 response.
“Bagama’t bumuo po ng technical working group para tingnan kung talagang mayroong urgency na papasukin, lalung-lalo na iyong mga dayuhan sa Build, Build, Build [program], pero wala pa pong desisyon,” he said in a televised briefing.
“Ang desisyon po ay huwag papasukin muna ang kahit sinong dayuhan.”
The panel’s creation last month was prompted by the appeal of a foreign embassy for the Philippines to ease inbound travel restrictions to allow the entry of foreign workers in flagship infrastructure projects and permanent resident visa holders.
Only Filipinos, their spouse and children, accredited foreign government and international organization officials, as well as foreign airline crew are currently allowed to enter the country. — Virgil Lopez/RSJ, GMA News