Several locally stranded individuals (LSIs) who have been stuck in Metro Manila for five months are in better living conditions but still ache to be reunited with their families in the province.
According to Mav Gonzales’ “24 Oras Weekend” report, Sheryl Floralde’s flight back home to Tagbilaran, Bohol was once again rescheduled to October 7.
“Sana po kung may flight ngayon, makauwi na po ako. Gusto ko na pong umuwi kasi sa mga anak ko po,” she said.
“Umiiyak na nga, gusto nang umuwi si mama nila. Tapos 'pag nagtrabaho papa nila, walang magbantay kaya gusto ko na umuwi,” she added.
Estrella Feraren, her husband, and their two children returned from Saudi Arabia thinking they would be back in Cotabato by July 16.
Upon arriving at the airport, however, they learned that the flight had been canceled.
The family has no more money to book a new flight.
“Maganda naman po ‘yung treatment nila dito, kumpleto kami sa pagkain umaga hanggang gabi, so okay okay na rin po ‘yung sitwasyon namin sa ganito. At least hindi na po kami mamomroblema sa pagkain,” Feraren said.
Floralde and Feraren are among the 27 LSIs living in tents provided by the Manila International Airport Authority at the holding area of Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3.
Some of the LSIs there have flights scheduled in the coming months, while others are chance passengers hoping to catch a flight back home.
The LSIs said their living situation is comfortable with free food, shower areas, wifi, and charging stations available to them.
There was also a medical team and soldiers keeping watch.
There are currently 28 tents set up at the holding area but authorities said more could be added if the need arose. — Julia Mari Ornedo/DVM, GMA News